Punching shear resistor (PSR) studs are largeheaded shear connectors
that are welded to flat steel bars (creating stud rails) and used for
shear reinforcement in flat concrete slabs to replace stirrups and column
capitals to resist the punching shear stress in the slabs.
Studs of a predetermined length and diameter, according to design specifications
in compliance with IBC and UBC Structural Steel Welding Standards,
are used to extend the column perimeter into the floor or foundation slab.
This reduces the amount of reinforcing bar required in an area and column
congestion resulting in easier and faster installation, as well as lower cost.
Using these PSR stud rails, you increase the punching shear capacity at the
base of the concrete columns, resulting in a significant reduction in slab
thickness. This creates a substantial savings in labor and material costs.
Benefits of Using PSR Stud Rails:
- Eliminating the need for column capitals and stirrups
- Reduction of setup and installation time.
- Reduction of congestion around column/slab connections.
- Distribution of force over a greater critical area.
- Providing higher tensile strength and more ductile performance
of the concrete slab.
||Weld Fillet Dia.
||Weld Fillet Height
Other sizes available upon request
- Weld studs listed in the table above are the Standard Minimum Length
- Stud can be requested in any required length above the minimum
- Listed ferrule is for standard flat down hand position
- Stud Welding Products can provide the studs, equipment, and fabricate the stud rails (assembled)
||Low Carbon Steel (ASTM A29)
||3/8" thru 3/4"
|Stud Standard Length
||Can be made in any length above the standard minimum
|Min. Tensile Strength Type B (psi)
|Min. Yield Strenght (.02%)-Type B (psi)
|Elongation (% in 2 in)
|Elongation (% in 5x dia.)
|Reduction of Area
View/Print PSR Studs PDF File
“NELSON and NELSON STUD WELDING are registered trademarks of Nelson Stud Welding, Inc. Stud Welding Products is not affiliated with Nelson Stud Welding, Inc., and is not an authorized distributor of NELSON or NELSON STUD WELDING products.”